Creating a blog is easy, even now the difficult one is actually choosing the platform. Because, now there are so many blog platform free that offers its own uniqueness. But specifically for this tutorial, I will discuss a complete tutorial on how to make it the blog free at the platform Blogger.com, a blog platform freebies that I’m sure are familiar to you.
In this tutorial, I will discuss the steps to create the blog from the start of the sub domain registration, initial settings, choose a theme, then set layout, create pages and also how to create new posts.
- The first stage, make sure you already have a Gmail or Google account. If not, make it first, I will not explain here the stages of making an email.
- If you already have, just open it Blogger.com or click this link.
- If it’s open, now click Create a Blog.
- Now, login using your Google account.
- After login, Blogger will display a page like this. Fill in Title by the name the blog You, then Address with the url address that will be blog link friend.
- Choose too default template which will be used as a display design the blog friend. At this stage, just choose origin, because later you can replace it with a better choice.
- If so, click Create Blog.
- If you then see a popup like this, that means the blog buddy has been successfully made. Just click No Thanks to close the window.
Perform Blog Initial Settings
The first stage makes the blog we have finished, now you could say you officially have the blog and holds status as a Blogger.
But, our task is not finished. Now it’s time to enter the second stage, make initial arrangements before publishing new posts to the blog.
Below is the appearance of the menu dashboard in the blog friend. Note, on the left side there are a number of menus from Posts, Stats to Settings. Now, at this stage of the setup, we will click on the menu Settings / Settings first.
- In the Settings menu there are some things that need to be filled in first, for example the Description column (number 2), then click Save changes if the description column has been filled.
- The description column is a brief description of your blog, a maximum of 500 characters but it doesn’t have to be completely full. Because in some templates, this description is displayed on the front page so if it is too long it is not pleasing to the eye. Adjusted to needs only.
- Continue to the menu Post comments and sharing.
- This is the settings panel to determine how many articles appear on the front page (number 2).
- While at number 3, is an option to set who can leave comments. The choice depends on you, there are no fixed rules to do this and that.
- Option Comment Moderation used to regulate how comments are approved. If set to Always, the comment will only appear if you have agreed. If selected Never, then the comments will automatically be seen without your approval as the blog owner.
- Continue to the menu Language and formatting. This is the settings menu for changing languages blog interface You, then deactivate translation, change the time zone and date format.
Those are some initial settings that you need to do. Some other menus are not too vital to adjust now. But, of course it’s important to recognize that you are more adept at fiddling with the blog You.
Changing Blogger Templates
The most important stage that must be completed in creating a free blog Blogger.com is to replace the template.
At the beginning, I already mentioned that the default template can be determined during the sub domain registration process. If at the beginning you have chosen a good template, you still have to learn this step and do it repeatedly to be more capable.
- Returning to the topic, now click menu Theme.
- Then pay attention in the right panel, there is a default template that is already installed. If you slide the screen down, you will find a series of default templates from Blogger that can be used as needed for free.
- Just click one of the templates, then a button will appear Preview, Customize and Apply. select Apply to apply the selected template.
- Up to this stage, your blog template has been successfully changed. Just click View your blog at the top left to see the changes.
Changing the Latest Blogger.com Template Second Way
- In addition to the above, you can also replace the template Blogger.com with designs from third parties. That is, you can search the template from other places – free or buy – then upload the template to your blog. In this way, design the blog You will be completely different for not using the template default from Blogger.com.
- How do you do it? Very easy. Click the three dots on the right. Your position is still in the menu Themes. Then a new popup will appear, select Restore.
- Then click the button Upload, select the file The XML is on your laptop and the system will automatically process the request. Once uploaded, the template will automatically change without any notification, unless the upload fails.
Customize Blogger.com Templates
Arrangements have been made, the template has also been replaced. Now, it’s time for you to customize or redesign the look the template which was uploaded above earlier.
- The trick, still in the Theme menu, just click the button Customize or Customization.
- Then my friend will be delivered to the panel like screenshot below this.
- At the top there are several menus, among others Themes, Background, Advanced and Gadgetes. Each panel menu will display different advanced options, for example the Themes menu will display several basic color choices.
- Then if the menu Background selected, a background color option that can be selected appears and then adjusted to their individual tastes.
- Other menus will also be so, you can find further options and further customizations according to their tastes. Another example, click menu Advanced then you will get advanced options to change font, size and color for the title the blog. Other menus you can learn one by one.
Set Blogger.com Layout
We arrive at the layout stage, a vital stage that you must understand if you want create a blog on the platform Blogger.com.
As the name implies, layout is used to adjust the position of each element of the template. For example, calendar gadgets, recent articles, archives and labels. In layouts, you can move, add and delete items freely. This action cannot be performed from another panel, nor are these Themes or Customizations.
- Click the Layout menu.
- Next, my friend will find columns and rows with different labels. Contact with number 1, this is the featured post panel which if you move it to column or row number 2 then the position is on the blog will also change.
- Box number 2 is the area where the articles you post will appear. Don’t mess with this part, leave it like this.
- Finally, box number 3 is the sidebar box or side of the blog which is usually home to compact gadgets such as calendars, labels, pages, latest articles and others. This section can also be moved according to taste, or added with new gadgets offered by Blogger.com.
Create a New Page on Blogger.com
Many function pages, can be a profile page, for contacts, for service policy information and others. In contrast to posts, pages are static and not moved by time. So information that is still highly recommended to be placed on the page.
- To make a new page on Blogger.com, just click menu Pages or page.
- Then on the right side click the button New Page.
- Next, the editor page appears as you find it in Microsoft Word. The difference is, here you have to make the page title first (number 1), then continue to fill the page content (number 2) and click Publish (number 3) if the data is deemed complete.
- After clicking Publish, the page will appear in the Pages menu. Published pages can still be edited if needed.
Create New Posts on Blogger.com
This last part is the most important stage and will be the menu that you meet most often each time login to blog dashboard. The stage I mean is how to make a new post on the blog.
- This stage starts by clicking on the Posts menu then on the right side of find and then click the button New Post or New Entry.
- Just like when creating a new page, you will also find a new editor window. The difference is, the steps are more complex here. The order is like this:
- Number 1: make the title first
- Number 2: fill in the main article.
- Number 3: make a label between one to three words, separate them with commas. This label is the same as a category or hashtag that will group posts together in the same label.
- Number 4: Publish, complete.
- Simply stated, those were the stages in making a new writing. But, actually there are some other things that you also need to learn. We will discuss later.
Create Scheduled Posts
This feature is quite useful because it allows you to schedule posts on the desired day, date, month or even year. Usually, this feature is used if I have plans to travel on that day. So the system will automatically publish articles according to the time I set before.
- How, when creating a new post, on the right click Schedule – Set date and time.
- Then choose the date, month and year when the article should be published. If it feels right, click the button Done. Done!
- After this adjustment is made, the article will be posted automatically on that date.
Editing Permalink Articles on Blogger.com
Another knowledge that you also need to master, namely editing permalink article on Blogger.com. Why is it important? Because, format permalink become one of the factors that is quite crucial in SEO techniques.
- In a position to write a new article, click Permalink – Custom Permalink.
- Then fill in the columns that appear, but with the condition that each word must be separated by (-). Unfortunately, the number of characters supported is not large, so you should use this feature wisely.
Adding Images to Blog Posts
Articles consisting of a combination of text, images and videos are certainly far more interesting than text slabs without any decoration. You should also follow this rule even if the blog platform you use is labeled free.
- On Blogger.com, you are given the freedom to add images to your blog. To do this, position the cursor where the picture will be added, then click the photo icon next to the Link menu.
- Then a new popup window will appear like this. Continue by clicking on the button Choose Files if you want to upload a new picture from the laptop. However, Blogger.com also offers other options, such as retrieving from Google Albums, from mobile phones or from certain sites supported by their system.
- A file explorer window will appear where you are asked to select the image file you want to add to the blog.
- If it’s already uploaded, mark the picture and click Add Selected.
- Completed, the image has been added to the article. Now, to set the size, alt title, orientation and so on, just click the picture and these options will appear. Then, all you have to do is arrange and complete what needs to be completed.
Understanding Blogger Toolbar Menu Functions
It seems complete guide has been completed on how to create a free blog on Blogger.com, there is only one discussion that I feel needs to be conveyed as well, namely regarding the function of the toolbar menu on the editor page either on the page or in the post.
Well, the picture above is what I meant. I have marked here with numbers and arrows, so that my friend can understand them more easily.
- Compose Mode: to display the editor in visual form, for example to display bold format in bold visuals.
- HTML mode: the opposite of compose mode, this mode will display the editor in the form of html coding. If I used the bold format as an example, in HTML mode the bold format will be indicated by the code thick, not in visuals that appear thicker than other letters.
- This heading is to create subtitles in addition to the main title, usually to mark new topics.
- Bold format, to bold letters or numbers.
- Italic format to tilt words or sentences.
- Underline format to underline words or sentences.
- To color the text
- This link is for inserting a link or hyperlink
- We have discussed this earlier, to add images.
- To add videos from YouTube or upload yourself.
- Set the orientation of the text, whether you want to align left, centered, right aligned or justified.
- This is for listing numbers.
- While this is for listing points.
Done, that’s mostly the explanation of the function of the buttons in the Blogger.com editor panel. Hopefully with this information, it’s easier to understand what the function is.
Thus the tutorial how to create a free blog at Blogger.com, hopefully useful!